I've Seen Through The Looking Glass, Outside The Fishbowl

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon: Military Helicopter-UAP Encounter Over Ohio In 1973

Dr. Richard F. Haines, is the Chief Scientist for the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP). His research focuses on airline sightings, airline safety, and these strange aerial mysteries. Dr. Haines goes into quite comprehensive detail about military/civilian pilot sightings, electromagnetic interference effects and the 3400 actual unknown reports collated from aviation professionals, civilian and military. Here is a classic, well documented military helicopter/UAP incident.

The Coyne case, or the "Army Helicopter Incident" stands out as, perhaps the most credible in the "high strangeness" nature of the Aircraft/UAP encounters. An Army Reserve UH-1H (Huey) helicopter crew of four men encountered a gray, metallic-looking, cigar-shaped object, with unusual lights and maneuvers, as they were airborne between Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. The crew won the National Enquirer Blue Ribbon Panel's $ 5,000 award for "the most scientifically valuable report of 1973."

The 1973 Army Helicopter UAP Encounter

Just after 11 p.m. on October 18, 1973 a U.S. Army reserve crew was flying an UH-1H military helicopter from Columbus to Cleveland, Ohio. The four man crew included Captain Lawrence Coyne with 19 years flying experience, Lt. Arrigo Jezzi, Sergeant John Healey, and Sergeant Robert Yanacsek. At 2,500 feet and good visibility, the crew noticed a bright red light, brighter than a standard aircraft port-wing light, to the west, slowly moving south. They assumed it was probably an F-100 Super Saber out of Mansfield. Very abruptly, however, the light changed course and began to head right at them. "The light was traveling in excess of 600 knots," Coyne said. "It came from the horizon to our aircraft in about 10 seconds." Captain Coyne put the helicopter into emergency evasion in a controlled descent as a collision appeared imminent. When he tried to confirm the existence of a craft out of Mansfield, his UHF and VHF frequencies went dead, a very common anomaly (electromagnetic interference) with automobiles and aircraft close encounters. Mansfield later confirmed there were no aircraft in the area. This strange red light continued its radial bearing and increased greatly in intensity while the helicopter descended at the rapid speed of 2,000 feet per minute.

At 1,700 feet above the ground, the crew saw the object streak in front of, then above, the helicopter. It stopped dead, filling the entire windscreen. "It wasn't cruising, it was stopped.  For maybe ten to twelve seconds, just stopped,"  Yanacsek  reported. All four crewmembers saw it clearly. "It looked like a grey cigar shaped metallic-looking craft with a small dome on top". The red light was in the front of the object, and there was a white light on the side and green one on the bottom. The green light swung around like a searchlight and shone into the cabin, bathing it in green light. The object then accelerated to the west, soon appearing as nothing more than a white light. It made a sharp, decisive, 45 degree turn and moved northwest where it was lost above Lake Erie.

Meanwhile, the helicopter's magnetic compass had been spinning at a rate of four revolutions per minute, another common anomaly caused by UAPs. More seriously, and for no clear reason, the altimeter showed an altitude of 3,500 feet and a climbing ascent of 1,000 feet per minute. Yet the stick was still pointed down for descent. Coyne had not attempted to ascend, but his aircraft climbed to an altitude of 3,800 feet before he regained control. A few minutes later, radio frequencies returned. There was no noise from the object or turbulence during the encounter. A complete inspection the next day found nothing wrong, and the event received a thorough investigation. However, after this incident, the radio, navigation and magnetic compass in the Huey never worked right and had to be replaced.
Check Out These Brief Videos


The Witnesses Speak Out

By itself, it was a fascinating Close Encounter Of The Second Kind. It was strengthened, however, by the presence of ground witnesses. While driving, a family of five witnessed the entire event, including the green beam, that lit the ground around them. The witnesses to this event have been found by William E. Jones and  Warren Nicholson, independent UAP researchers from Columbus, Ohio. This case has maintained its "high strangeness" credibility rating after extended investigation and strict scientific analysis.
Coyne Drawing
Here's The Official Report
NICAP Report
I’ve Seen Through The Looking Glass, Outside The Fishbowl